How can I get onto the hot content list? What do you do to get onto the hot content list? How is the hot content list chosen? My answer has always been for writers to keep doing what they are paid to do, and that is to keep writing. While the hot content list may increase views by ten percent or so, it has nothing to do with quality or popularity. Read on to see what I mean.
How can you get onto the hot content list?
Many young writers keep asking for my views on the hot content list while others ask for the secret to get onto the hot content list. I will briefly answer this question and hope to put a stop to the numerous questions that plague me on the same. How can one get onto the hot content list?
To be sincere, none of us knows the secret. I have only come across one writer who brags about being on the hot content list every day of the week. Perhaps he knows the secret but for the rest of us, unless Triond reveals the mechanics used, the hot content list shall remain nothing but a top level secret.
Believe you me when I say it took me more than a year to get onto the hot content list at a time when I never knew of its existence. I write this article on The Twenty Greatest Writers of all time which was actually my own opinion as to who I thought was the greatest among writers. A friend of mine alerted me of the article’s presence on the hot content list, and off I went in search of that list. I found it and wasn’t as impressed as I felt to make the list.
Could it be about…
1. Quality – Is the hot content list about quality? Of course not! Some of the articles on the hot content list are poorly structured, poorly written and with glaring grammatical errors that can’t be made by my six month old baby but the articles get there every single day of the week. Read those articles and you will understand what I mean. Some of them can be rightfully accused of urinating on the writing profession itself. To be sincere even some of my articles that have appeared on the list have left me wondering what it is that made them make the list!
2. Popularity – Is the hot content list about popularity? Of course not! If you think only the most popular articles make that list, you are mistaken. I have had articles on the hot content without as many as five views or comments. Some of those authors who enjoy the highest traffic like Nobert Soloria Bermosa have never been on the hot content list for a long time. I have written articles in the past that got more than a thousand views within a day or two but never had them on the hot content list.
3. Promotion – Is the hot content list about promotion of content? Let nobody cheat you. Promoting content online and offline will get you views and earn you money but not a spot on the hot content list. Promote all you can and get the views, get your content out there and have people read you, comment on your work or simply give you a like but then don’t expect your efforts to result into a spot on that list. It obviously doesn’t work that way.
4. Keywords – Probably you think it has something to do with key words and search engine placement. Let me assure you that it isn’t. Stop going after the yahoo search trends or the Google keyword tool, it might get you views, it might get you traffic and some good earnings but not a spot on the coveted hot content list.
5. Controversy – Perhaps you should stir up controversy or write something so appalling that it will get readers talking. Of course not, one of the writers who constantly appears on that list is an old girl known as Ruby Hawk who is shy of everything controversial and sticks to the conventional more often than not. This should tell you exactly what I want you to know. Controversy may earn you clicks, it may get you views and comments, but it is still not good enough to get you a spot on the hot content.
What should you do to get onto the hot content list?
What then should you do as a writer to get onto that list? Nothing! Instead of copying those on the list, instead of bashing them, instead of trying to write on the same issues they doodle on, instead of asking how to get onto that list, just do what you are paid to do. Write and keep writing. Some of the shit on the hot content list should not bother you at all, sometimes I don’t even look at it myself even though it adds me some two or three clicks. If this answer is not sufficient, ask the Triond owners, they know best!