Creating offensive contents can get authors banned from internet publishing sites.
Triond under its terms of services provides that writer’s content must be original and not an infringement on any third party copyrights. In addition to that, content shall not be libelous, illegal, derogatory, offensive and pornographic among other things.
Any content that does not comply with said terms of services will result to termination of the author’s right to submit and publish original content to Triond. In addition his registration to this site will be cancelled. In this article I would like to discuss about offensive contents because most of mentioned prohibited acts also constitute discussing offensive topics.
What makes a content offensive? Sometimes it is somewhat complicated to determine whether the content is offensive or not because of differences of people’s culture and belief system. What is taboo in one culture may be a permissible thing to others.
There are acts related to the creation of contents that are clearly offensive to general audience. Following are some of them and authors should avoid doing them.
- Making racial slurs.
- Stereotyping people or groups.
- Making unfounded accusation or claim that affects other people’s reputation. This act also brings possible legal action against an author.
- Making derogatory remarks about religion, or the revered figures such as the prophets or saints of religious groups.
- Criticizing other people’s cultures and traditions.
- Associating or likening a respected deceased or living person to an infamous personality who is held in contempt by the general public.
- Making derogatory statement on a person on account of his or her gender, homosexuality, physical disability, illness, age or misfortune in life.
Although offensive contents stir the interest of audience, they can ruin the career of authors. Contents to be submitted and published should be based on facts, evidences or common knowledge. Authors should observe decency and sense of propriety in his contents. Generally, people like to be identified with positive reports and good associations but take exceptions to negative reports attributed to them. It is therefore necessary for authors to create only truthful contents. Many articles on the atrocities of Adolph Hitler were written, but Germans did not complain because they believed the reports to be true. Why create offensive and contentious contents when authors can discuss various topics from cabbage to kings or any other topics under the sun.